Energy Billing/Settlement Clerk (Contract - Maternity Leave)
Local Authority Services Limited (LAS) is a subsidiary of the Association of Municipalities of Ontario. LAS is responsible for developing and marketing innovative and beneficial services and programs to the municipal sector, whereby the objective is to reduce the cost of common expenditures and to increase revenues through economies-of-scale.
As a member of the LAS Energy Services Division, the Energy Billing/Settlement Clerk is responsible for all aspects of billing and settlement of municipal customer accounts for the retail electricity program called Distributor Consolidated Billing (DCB). The role includes preparing reports for municipal customers, including energy consumption forecasts and load profiles, to aid LAS in its commodity buying decisions.
Ensure the timely and accurate processing of data and information between utilities, market entities, data transfer hubs, LAS’s billing and settlement and accounting systems, and municipal customers.
• Set up new Local Distribution Companies (LDC) in the billing system as required.
• Enrolls or de-enrolls customer accounts with the relevant LDC using the retail billing system.
• Ensures all account data is validated and checks account lists for each municipality, matching data to billings systems records, ensuring that they are balanced and accurate.
• Communicates with customers on an on-going basis regarding issues related to billing and settlement.
• Tracks requests made to each LDC to ensure compliance to standards and that work is completed in a timely manner. Follows up on LDC requests until completed.
• On a daily basis, checks usage files received from LDC’s, ensures all billing parameters are present in the system to allow for billing, and tracks the system to validate that invoices are issued to the LDC for each municipal account.
• On a daily basis, monitors system generated tasks and takes action to correct all issues to ensure billing files are sent to the relevant LDC.
• Applies hedges purchased to municipal customer consumption information.
• Investigates and resolves billing exceptions within strict timeframes to ensure billing is completed to meet process timelines and accuracy demands.
• Integrates billing information into A/R or A/P in accounting system.
• Reports to the supervisor any issues or anomalies for further action.
• Provides modeling and forecasting support to produce electricity profiles for municipal accounts on an individual and aggregate basis to aid hedging and purchasing decisions.
• Prepares monthly reports on billing activity.
• Works with supervisor to define and build new reports as required to manage the business.
• Works with LAS staff, electricity LDC’s, municipal customers, Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO), the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) and HUB providers when required.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Secondary school diploma, supplemented by five years of applicable work experience in billing for commercial or industrial customers in electricity at the wholesale and/or retail level
• Working knowledge and skills in a specialized discipline or field, e.g. finance, accounting, etc.
• Strong computer and systems background including Microsoft products, such as Word, Excel, Dynamics GP. Will be expected to use billing and settlement software.
• Superior math skills
• Working knowledge of processes sufficient to complete routine tasks independently and to identify problems, propose solutions, and proceed with adequate supervision
• Excellent human relations and communication skills
• Ability to organize and set work priorities performing scheduled tasks on time, and seeking direction when conflicting priorities arise
• Excellent interpersonal skills to interact with Association staff, municipal members, agencies and other organizations, government officials, and the public
• Basic understanding of municipal operations
• Ability to work both independently and as a team member
If you are interested in this opportunity, please email your resume and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.